Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:53:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Ossama Othman wrote:

From what I recall, we had to do this to get C++ exception handling to
work correctly.  Gary and Bob, does this ring a bell?

It'd be great if doing is no longer necessary since it is a point of
contention among many folks.  To be honest, I was never really sure why
needed to do this.  I was going on Alexandre's word when I introduced
this code a few years ago.  :-)

I am glad to see that you responded to this since you were the one who made multi-lingual libtool possible. Thank you very much.

It seems to me that if the C++ compiler is used to link, then C++ exceptions will work. If the system linker is used, then it is possible that C++ exceptions will not work at all, even if the extra libraries are applied.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden