Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:10:27 -0700

Hi Bob,

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 17:53, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> I am glad to see that you responded to this since you were the one who
> made multi-lingual libtool possible.  Thank you very much.

Thanks!

> It seems to me that if the C++ compiler is used to link, then C++
> exceptions will work.

That's what I thought at the time, too, and still think so.  However,
I'm sure there was a reason why we did things this way.  I unfortunately
don't recall the details.

>   If the system linker is used, then it is
> possible that C++ exceptions will not work at all, even if the extra
> libraries are applied.

I missed part of the thread.  Is the system linker being using instead
of the compiler?  I thought that we were using the compiler in all
cases, and that we were manually prepending and appending start files
and libraries.  Is that not the case, i.e. are we using the linker?

-Ossama