Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8

From: Jacob Meuser
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:39:57 -0701

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 06:46:35PM -0700, Ossama Othman wrote:
> Hi Jacob,
>
> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 18:22, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > it uses verbose output to figure out what the compiler will do, and
> > then duplicates it ... but the compiler will still do it was doing,
> > hence the errors from duplicated objects.  I say "second guess"
> > because it acts like it knows what it should do, but causes problems.
>
> Ah, I see.  That certainly wasn't the intent of this functionality.  The
> idea was to see what the compiler adds to the link line, and then have
> libtool call the compiler in a way that prevents those additional/hidden
> object files and libraries from being automatically added to the link
> line by the compiler so that libtool could add them to the compiler (not
> the linker) link command manually.  With g++, libtool accomplished this
> with something like the g++ "-nostdlib" command line option.

IMO, that sounds like unnecessary complication.

> That said, I agree that it would be ideal to just have the compiler do
> all of this "behind the scenes" instead of libtool doing it manually,

Yep.  My "issue" is that this is the default behaviour, when it
seems more likely that it usually isn't needed.

> but there must've been a reason why we had libtool do this instead of
> the compiler.

Maybe a long since fixed bug in g++?  I haven't been dealing with libtool
innards much until recently; maybe there's some info in a commit message.
Anyway, I'm sure there are people on this list who know more about the
large variety of platforms out there than I do.

--
<address@hidden>