Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:50:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Carlos Fangmeier wrote:

Hi, I checked and the system linker is the one that I currently use. Until last week I thought it was better to use the system linker, but now I'm not so sure. Could somebody tel me in which cases is better to use the gnu and system linker. If the exception is one of this cases, maybe there are more of such known isues, that could explain some other behaivor relatet to threads and semaphore. If there are any test that you will interested to be done, I will be glad to cooperate.

When I said "system" linker, I meant using 'ld' directly (e.g. /usr/ccs/bin/ld) to perform a link rather than invoking the C++ compiler to do the link (which itself uses 'ld'). I did not mean Solaris 'ld' vs GNU 'ld'.

For Solaris, I recommend using the linker that comes with the system (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) since it knows all of the Solaris shared library nuances. While I am sure that GNU 'ld' has continued to improve, the several times I have used it under Solaris, it has not performed nearly as well as Sun's linker when building/using shared libraries.

GNU 'ld' is smarter when linking C++ (for templates), but it is a portable tool and can not afford to specialize for an OS (except for Linux and maybe GNU Hurd).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden