Re: Confusing libtool behaviour on cygwin

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Confusing libtool behaviour on cygwin
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:19:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Maarten Boekhold wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a little confused about how libtool (or maybe it's automake) behaves when used as 'libtool --mode=install' for a shared library *under cygwin*.

I am in the process of porting XFCE (http://www.xfce.org) to cygwin/X. XFCE has various subpackages, and a number of them use a plugin mechanism, where plugins are loaded with g_module_open() and friends.

The Makefile.am's for these plugins are all more or less the same. Yet, some plugins get installed as '$(libdir)/bin/cygXXXXX.dll', some as '$(libdir)/modules/cygXXXXX.dll', and others as '$(libdir)/modules/libXXXX.dll'. And I just can't figure out what's causing this.

Does anybody know about this, have some pointer on how to get these shared libraries all installed in the same place (preferrably as $(libdir)/modules/libXXXX.dll)? Any pointer on how to investigate this?

My understanding is that for non-module DLLs, the .dll file is installed in the bin directory so it is likely to be in the user's path. If the DLL is not in the PATH (or current directory) then it won't be found by Windows. For module DLLs, libltdl takes care of loading requirements so the .la and .dll files are adjacent to each other in the modules install directory. I do not know why some module DLLs start with 'cyg' while others start with 'lib'. Is the same version of libtool used to build all the modules?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden