Re: Confusing libtool behaviour on cygwin

From: Maarten Boekhold
Subject: Re: Confusing libtool behaviour on cygwin
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:36:19 +0400

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

My understanding is that for non-module DLLs, the .dll file is installed in the bin directory so it is likely to be in the user's path. If the

Then how does libtool decide whether a DLL is a (non)-module? The --module flag? (looking through the sources... yes, those libs that got installed in the bin dir didn't have LDFLAGS --module...)

directory. I do not know why some module DLLs start with 'cyg' while others start with 'lib'. Is the same version of libtool used to build all the modules?

It might not have been. I discovered during the process that XFCE ships aclocal.m4 as part of the CVS, and that --force was not used to copy the local version of libtool. These 'cygXXX.dll' files in the modules/ directory might be from before I set ACLOCAL_FLAGS="--force"... I'll rebuild the whole thing later, once the XFCE developers have accepted my patches.

Maarten