Re: compile problem

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: compile problem
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:49:16 +0100

Salut Alexandre!

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  Gary> My feeling at the moment is that it would be a small price to pay for
>  Gary> simplifying the interface to automake (i.e. _not_ being sometimes told,
>  Gary> partway through the automake run, that you must change your
> configure.ac
>  Gary> and start again at the aclocal stage).
>
> I agree that being told to update configure.ac can be annoying,
> even if it only occur once, but I'm not convinced that we should
> call such macros unconditionally.

Certainly not as policy... but for a short test like AM_PROG_CC_C_O the
trade-off looks good.  On second thought, I reckon it should be conditional
upon the C compiler being used.

Maybe, from AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE (not tested!):

AC_PROVIDE_IFELSE([AC_PROG_CC],
  [AM_PROG_CC_C_O],
  [m4_define([AC_PROG_CC], defn([AC_PROG_CC])[AM_PROG_CC_C_O])])

> By this argument it looks like we should also always run
> AC_INIT_LIBTOOL so that Automake does not demand it once you
> introduce the first variable _LTLIBRARIES variable in a
> Makfile.am.

AC_PROG_LIBTOOL/LT_INIT has too much overhead to be added speculatively.

>  Likewise for AC_PROG_YACC, AC_PROG_RANLIB, etc.

And AC_PROG_YACC is probably not used often enough to be a good trade-off
either.  Dunno about AC_PROG_RANLIB though... do people build static libs very
often without libtool these days?

> I once thought that since Automake knew what extra macros where
> required, it could generate a configure.ac fragment with these.
> But that sounds too fragile and tricky.

What about making aclocal (or autoconf when it is merged) detect the missing
macros?  It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad to edit configure.ac, run
autoconf, and have it tell you that your Makefile.am's rely on some additional
macros you forgot to add.  I think the annoyance stems from having to wait
until the very last stage of the bootstrap (which can take quite some time)
before you are told about it.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--