Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib

From: Jacob Meuser
Subject: Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:48:28 -0700

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 04:11:16PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Geoff wrote:
> >>For
> >>example, the user was not aware that there was a libxml2
> >>under the /usr/X11R6 tree as well as under the /usr/lib
> >>tree.  LibMagick was apparently built and tested with the
> >>libxml2 under /usr/X11R6.
> >
> >I may be exposing more ignorance here, but that is not what
> >I meant.  At least in my case it seems (am I wrong?), that
> >LibMagick was built with the libxml2 which was
> >originally under /usr/lib. Thus my
>
> This does seem wrong.

Why?  his system came with libxml2.$shared_ext in /usr/lib.  he
removed it and installed it in /usr/local/lib, without making sure
the dependent packages were rebuilt.

>  As the author of ImageMagick's configure
> script, I can tell you that the configure script uses settings from
> whatever xml2-config script is discovered via the executable search
> path so it is quite easy for a maintainer's environment to pick up and
> use the wrong libxml2.  Feel free to blame that on bad design. :-(
>
> This is worth reporting as a bug to your ImageMagick package
> maintainer.

why?  it is not the fault of the maintainer, unless the official
OS libxml2 package does not install libxml2.$shared_ext into
/usr/lib.

--
<address@hidden>