gnu vs bsd make

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: gnu vs bsd make
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:29:27 +0100

I just came across a difference between between GNU make and BSD make:

% cat makefile1
$(var)/foo:     bar
$(var)/bar:
        echo "making bar"
% make var=. -f makefile1 ./foo
make: don't know how to make bar. Stop

make: stopped in /usr/src/local/libtool/err
% gmake var=. -f makefile1 ./foo
echo "making bar"
making bar
% cat makefile2
$(var)/foo:     $(var)/bar
$(var)/bar:
        echo "making bar"
% make var=. -f makefile2 ./foo
echo "making bar"
making bar
% gmake var=. -f makefile2 ./foo
echo "making bar"
making bar
%

In otherwords, we need $(var)/bar as the dependency for success
with bsd make. Why is this relevant to libtool?

In bootstrap "make" is called 3 times, which might end up being a
non-GNU make and AFAIK we don't say "you must use gnu make" anywhere
- do we?

If make = bsd make, then

  make: don't know how to make stamp-vcl. Stop

which the attached trivial patch fixes. I haven't looked for other
instances..

Cheers,

Patrick