Re: tag-option

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: tag-option
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:04:10 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Christoph Wellner wrote:

in our project, we mainly use C++-Code. But for speeding-up things, sometimes we need to compile assembler-code too. In the past, we used libtool 1.4.2a on debian woody. We had no problems. But with the new debian sarge, with libtool 1.5.6, we can't compile our software anymore. When I try to compile our assembler code using the line

/bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=compile /bin/sh /home/nmmdemo/nmm2_sarge/strip_fPIC.sh nasm -f elf -I /home/nmmdemo/nmm2_sarge/nmm/misc/scaler -I /home/nmmdemo/nmm2_sarge scaler_mmx.asm

I get this error:

libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'

Libtool 1.5.X inspects its first argument in order to determine the compilation program being used. It uses this to select the tag which supplies the correct language/tool-specific rules. Apparently /bin/sh is not sufficient to identify the assember.

When I set --tag=asm, everything works fine. Me question is, when do I have to specify a tag? Does it depend on the libtool-verion? If yes, wich libtool-verions need this tag an is there a autotool-macro available to check, wether libtool needs this tag?

Recent versions of Automake automatically supply the --tag option if libtool is version 1.5 or later. If you are using Automake, you might consider using a recent version.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden