library dependencies

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Subject: library dependencies
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:13:36 +0100

Hi,

I'm maintaining a package with liba and libb. liba can be used standalone,
libb uses liba. tools also in this package are compiled and linked fine.

I'm reviewing the pkg-config files, and decided it might be best to have
two of them: liba.pc and libb.pc. But here is what I don't know:
should libb.pc specify "-la -lb" because b uses a? or will simply "-lb"
work?

Is there something special I need to do in the Makefile.am creating libb?

On my debian machine everything is fine: the package gets compiled and
some app c) linked with -lb works. On debian the same packages don't work,
app c doesn't link with undefined references to liba.

Advice is very welcome.

Andreas
p.s. if a b and c puzlle you: opensc contains libscconf and libopensc.
libopensc.pc lists "-lopensc" only. openssh links with opensc.
Makefile.am for opensc contains
libopensc_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info
@OPENSC_LT_CURRENT@:@OPENSC_LT_REVISION@:@OPENSC_LT_AGE@
libopensc_la_LIBADD = @LIBSCCONF@ ../scdl/libscdl.la @LIBDL@ @LIBCRYPTO@
@OPENCT _LIBS@
@PCSC_LIBS@
with LIBSCCONF='${top_builddir}/src/scconf/libscconf.la'
Makefile.am for libscconf contains
libscconf_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info
@OPENSC_LT_CURRENT@:@OPENSC_LT_REVISION@:@OPENSC_LT_AGE@
i.e. nothing special.