Re: TODO

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:29:37 +0100

* Peter O'Gorman wrote on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:46:09PM CET:
> I just want to get some possibilities out there into the ether. Feel free
> to add more bits/say which bits are silly.

branch 2.0:

missing arches: If possible, we need more `make check' reports.
Am working on two.

Somebody needs to fix MinGW.

I would like to see one arch which has no dynamic linking but still
passes the relevant libltdl preopen tests.  Anyone?

> Post 2.0:
>
> 1. Generate a libtool.m4 from a bunch of individual file, one per platform,
> to make the job of a "platform maintainer" easier and make it easier to add
> new platforms.

Will this increase or lessen total code?

> 2. Generate some "platform specific" shell functions with config.status,
> for example, there is no need to have the C source code for the wrapper
> script on non-windows platforms, this will make the generated libtool
> script smaller and easier to follow, maybe a little faster too?

Sure.

> 3. Try and recruit some people to translate the docs?

I could care less.  Improve current docs first (they are not bad, but a
little outdated in places).  Second be determined to keep docs current
(like: don't accept a patch for a new feature without accompanying docs).
Third convince someone (else) to translate.

> 4. Fix threads.

Big ACK.  As Bob stated, they might prove nasty.

> 5. Think about speed, compile mode needs to be as fast as possible, can it
> be faster than it is?

Sure.  Bob suggested extending ltmain.c some time ago. :)

6. Versioned libraries.  Although this is not very portable yet, it is a
concept which IMHO needs support.  Many people ask for it.

7. Change libltdl interface: add separate functions for function
pointers.  This will allow porting to systems where function pointers
are incompatible with data pointer C-wise.

8. Support cross-compilation correctly.

9. Support multilibbing.

10. More testcases.  Faster test suite.  Please submit test cases for
stuff that does not work.

Regards,