Re: TODO

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:15:38 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

The main issue I see with using embryo (or small, or Java) or any other
byte-code/VM based machine is that it seems to make it much more
difficult for the end-user to fix problems on their end.

That would be no less true of a compiled ltmain.c.

Even with a compiled ltmain.c, I expect that the platform specific rules
would be encapsulated in data files rather than being compiled into
ltmain.c.   That would allow end-users to adjust the rules. Ltmain would
simply be a rules processor.

That could also be achieved with a byte-code ltmain.

Yes, of course.

When evaluating the direction to take for a C-based libtool, I tend to think of libtool being similar to `make' in that it is a rules processor. The process of "configuring" libtool would be a matter of selecting which collection of rules applies to the current system. I see that the "rules" are scripted somehow (could use /bin/sh as `make' does) and are easily changed, but the core libtool engine works identically on all platforms, and does not need to be based on scripting. The main argument to use a VM for internal libtool logic would be to reduce code size so the libtool footprint is smaller.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden