Re: TODO

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:17:25 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

However it *also* provides the right -I flags to point at the include
files.  A GTK+ application will '#include <gtk/gtkbutton.h>' for example
and require -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 to actually be able to find that (or
-1.0, -3.0, etc.)

That's a good feature.  Dunno whether I want that (or it can even be) in
a .la file or not.  But letting libtool output both information might
prove valuable.  Absorbing pkgconfig in libtool in a way that each
pkgconfig user must use libtool will pave way for quote some resistance,
I'd expect.

pkg-config does not issue the "right" -I flags. It merely proposes some based on where the package is installed. This is fine if the package is used in isolation. Sometimes these flags work ok in conjuction with flags from other unrelated packages, but other times it results in a bloody mess and wrong behavior.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden