Re: TODO

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:31:14 -0500 (EST)

On 2004-11-09T18:19-0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
) Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
) > * Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:24:25PM CET:
) >>3.5.  While we are there, maybe internationalise libltdl?
) > Please don't.  If you do, make it possible to have zero(!) overhead for
) > ltdl users if they choose not to make use of the translation capability.
) Do you mean zero runtime overhead?  That's easy, and fairly standard already:
)
)   #ifndef _
)   #  ifdef ENABLE_NLS
)   #    include <libintl.h>
)   #    define _(Text)  gettext ((Text))
)   #  else
)   #    define _(Text) (Text)
)   #  endif
)   #endif
)
) There are a few other tweaks that need to be done (see CVS M4), but for
) brevity I'll spare you the details :-)
)
) Obviously message catalogues and the like will make the distribution bigger
) though.

As this trick takes effect at compile time, would this require that an
embedded libltdl grow in size even if the functionality is never used?

If so, I think the point is to allow packagers who embed libltdl in other
packages to choose a prenoninternationalized version (so the noni18n occurs
at repackaging time rather than compile time).

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://people.redhat.com/djr/
http://naim.n.ml.org/