Re: TODO

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:20:13 +0000

Hi Albert!

Albert Chin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:43:48PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 14:24 +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>>

>>>6.  Absorb the functionality of the aberration called pkg-config.  Libtool
>>>    already has all the information it needs, we just need to teach it (or
>>>    maybe a subsidiary script) to spit out link flags after poking around
>>>    in a dependency chain of .la files.
>>
>>There's actually a couple of things pkg-config does that Libtool doesn't
>>currently do.  pkg-config's main job can be summed up simply as enabling
>>parallel-installed -dev packages.
>
> What about non-libtool libraries wanting to benefit from pkg-config?
> This will require them to spit out .la files rather than .pc files.

Nope, to absorb pkg-config libtool will need to be aware of .pc files too.
If libtool can't find a .la file, but there is a suitable .pc file in the
search patch, libtool would pull the flags from there.

>>Principally it provides the right -L and -l flags to link libraries, we
>>can get this from Libtool.  An an improvement would then be only
>>providing the dependency -l flags on platforms that need it, and not on
>>Linux for example.

A good idea!

> Ick. Libtool is about portably building/using libraries. Why can't we
> leave it at that?

But linking against installed libraries using the correct -L and -l flags
*is* part of portably building/using libraries! ;-)

Haven't thought through the -I thing yet though... maybe that doesn't
belong in libtool... maybe we could provide a macro that can intuit
include directories from .la locations... I dunno...

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}