Re: TODO

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:34:49 +0000

Scott James Remnant wrote:

I submitted keybuk-linux-deplibs.patch to libtool-patches back in March,
and there was a slight objection from Bob and nobody else joined in to
ok it.

The list was very busy around then, and I was waiting to see the results
of you and Bob duking it out ;-) You didn't answer any of Bob's questions...

>Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

Doesn't this patch cause Linux to be more equal than other operating
systems, thereby causing free applications to be developed which won't
work anywhere else?

No, it just shortens the link line on platforms that support that.

This solution does not seem to support the case where an actual
dependency exists but is not registered in the library (because the
user didn't supply it) so that the dynamic link loader doesn't know
about it?

Good point.  We really ought to check the library registered
dependencies against the .la deplibs and only drop the deplibs
common to both, since we know the linker will pick those up.
I guess that means looking through the dependency tree of .la
files to find matches.

Also, what do we do about -rpath?  We still need to encode the
runtime path to even the dropped deplib directories so that the
same library we linked with is picked up at runtime.

If libone or libfour contain weak symbols, what happens?

I have no idea!  Scott?

+2004-03-28  Scott James Remnant  <address@hidden>
+
+       * ltmain.in: The dynamic link loader on some platforms is able to
+       correctly traverse dependency trees, therefore when $link_all_deplibs
+       is set to 'no' don't add the contents of dependency_libs to the
+       link line to link a program.
+       * m4/libtool.m4 (AC_LIBTOOL_PROG_LD_SHLIBS) [linux*]: Linux is one
+       of those platforms, set link_all_deplibs to 'no' for both C++ and
+       other compilers.
+       * NEWS: Updated.

Bob's second point needs addressing first, IMHO.  I think the
-rpath stuff will come out in the wash provided we are careful.

Either way, this is a deep change for HEAD only.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}