Re: TODO

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:10:00 +0100

* Jacob Meuser wrote on Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:00:28PM CET:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:01:06PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> > > for a long time, libtool did not handle -pthread properly.
> > >
> > It still doesn't, the current situation is a botch that produces the
> > right results but does it in the wrong way.  Libraries should record
> > what compiler/linker flags they need (-pthread is not a dependency
> > library).
>
> record how?  in the dependency_libs section of an .la file?  you seem
> to be saying no, so then where?

It's already in HEAD.  Stored in inherited_linker_flags.

> > > I can point to at least a few .la files on my system that do
> > > not have -pthread or even other required libraries registered.
> > >
> > I'd be quite shocked if the current version of Libtool produces
> > libraries with -pthread in dependency_libs; I specifically wrote the
> > patch to prevent that, because it causes a lot of problems.
>
> if -pthread is needed but missing, then I get errors about missing
> symbols, much like if a library is missing from the link command.

Note that the patch in HEAD is not a complete solution to the problem.
It's not portable/right in general to only compile a library thread-safe
and not the entire application, or even compile against different thread
implementations (one library against one, the other against another).
All this probably cannot be solved by libtool, but some possible
problems can be warned about (this is not yet implemented).

Regards,