Re: libtool 1.5.6 still not supporting make distcheck

From: Sean Dague
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.6 still not supporting make distcheck
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:16:43 -0500

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 06:24:21PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
<snip>
> > Agreed, making that change now
> >
> > > second you should link to $(srcdir)/relpath/$@ instead
> >
> > Also agreed, making that change now
>
> Watch out.  You link to some built sources and some non-built sources.
> When trying your code, I replaced the link-setting snippets with
> something like
>
>  $(REMOTE_LIB_SOURCES):
>         if test ! -f $@ -a ! -L $@; then \
>                if test -f ../$@; then \
>                        $(LN_S) ../$@ $@; \
>                else \
>                        $(LN_S) $(srcdir)/../$@ $@; \
>                fi; \
>         fi
>
> so that they would still work regardless where the file-to-link-to was
> found.  Also, note that this is safe only if $(REMOTE_LIB_SOURCES)
> contains only target names in the current directory (also explained in
> Autoconf docs).

Yes, we only link into the current directory, so this should be sane.  I
have now made all the changes to let a VPATH build cleanly for both make and
make check (which included normalizing some of the includes).

<snip>
> > > Apart from these changes, `make distuninstallcheck' is the first part of
> > > `make distcheck' to complain, and it complains about some files which
> > > `make uninstall' misses to remove.  This is with the HEAD branch as well
> > > as branch-1-5 of libtool.
> > >
> > > So, can you try either the patch from
> > > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2004-10/msg00170.html
> > > and possibly branch-2-0 from CVS?  Please tell us your findings.
> >
> > I will check it out and report my results.
>
> Great!

I applied the patch to my local ltmain.sh, and the problem still persists as
before (I can regenerate the output if you like, but the build errors out at
the same place as before).

I haven't tried branch-2-0 yet, will try a whack at this later on today.

> > The system I am running on is Mandrake Linux 10.1 on x86 (we've seen the
> > failure with FC3 as well).
> >
> > There is not and installed version of the libraries on my system.
>
> Good to know.
>
> If this thread gets more application-dependent and less
> libtool-dependent, we should probably move to some openhpi-related list
> (Cc: me then, please, as I don't read any of those).

I think the problem is still with the build system, as all of our code
worked on earlier versions.  I'm not sure if libtool is the only culprit
here, or if there is some bad interaction of autotools and gcc as well.

Thanks for the help so far, any other thoughts on where I might look for
a solution to this problem?

        -Sean