Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:05:19 +0900

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

C'mon Gary, two questions: is it *possible* to provide the old behavior
without too much pain?  Would that destroy some cool abstraction or some
really fundamental thing?

Or are you just waiting for a patch to do this?  (ok, that was three
questions now).

I would approve a patch which added LT_TRY_LINK or some such macro, and created a temporary configure time libtool script to do so. I think it would be a fairly hefty patch though. There is certainly enough information available to allow this as soon as the LT_INIT macro is complete, though there will be issues with quoting, as things are quoted one extra time because of the intervening config.status.

The issue is a real one, and should be addressed. I am not convinced that it need be addressed for libtool-2.0 though, nor that it requires reverting to libtool-1.5 behavior.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com