Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Subject: Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:00:31 -0700

Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Sander, if you want to check whether a particular library is shared,
we should be able to write a macro for you to figure that out without
actually needing to roll and run an entire libtool script.  Or is
there more to your problem than that?

There _is_ more to his problem than that; I have run into this situation as well.

Here's the rub: at configure time, you want to check if a particular library is available, and will be linkable into your project when its needed. This is done using AC_CHECK_LIB and checking for a particular function (usually an init function) to be present in the library.

What happens if the only version of the library present is libfoo.a, but the configure script has been passed --disable-static? AC_CHECK_LIB will succeed, but final linking will fail.

What happens if the .la file is in the library search path, but the .a/.so files are not? AC_CHECK_LIB will fail, but final linking would have succeeded. (I'll grant that this is an abnormal situation, but I've had reports of it).

What happens if the shared library being linked to has dependent libraries (and was installed using libtool), and you are building on a platform that does not automatically link in shared deplibs? AC_CHECK_LIB will fail, but using libtool for linking would succeed.

I can probably come up with a dozen more situations where using libtool for library link testing _at configure time_ is really necessary, and not having it makes our projects work less well than they should. Like Sander, I have built some home-grown autoconf macros to use libtool for link testing at configure time, and if libtool-2.0 will no longer support this activity I'll have a significant problem.