Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:17:34 +0000

Hi Kevin,

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>
>> Sander, if you want to check whether a particular library is shared,
>> we should be able to write a macro for you to figure that out without
>> actually needing to roll and run an entire libtool script.  Or is
>> there more to your problem than that?
>

> There _is_ more to his problem than that; I have run into this situation
> as well.
>
> [[examples of failure modes with AC_CHECK_LIB vs libtool link]]
>
> I can probably come up with a dozen more situations where using libtool
> for library link testing _at configure time_ is really necessary, and
> not having it makes our projects work less well than they should. Like
> Sander, I have built some home-grown autoconf macros to use libtool for
> link testing at configure time, and if libtool-2.0 will no longer
> support this activity I'll have a significant problem.

Sounds to me like if we had provided LT_CHECK_LIB in libtool-1.5 (which
quite incidentally would have been implemented by running libtool) that
you could have written your tests in terms of that?

So we need an LT_CHECK_LIB macro in libtool-2-0, which may be possible
by looking in .la files and the results of the other libtool configure
time tests to construct an ld based link line -- or may force us to go
back to a non-config.status generated libtool.

Either way, the correct interface is (not yet implemented) LT_CHECK_LIB,
no?

Cheers,
        Gary.
--