Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:26:58 +0100

Agreed.  I think that there are a small number of circumstances where
the early-build of libtool was genuinely useful, and I think we should
be able to wrap each of those cases is a shipped macro that leverages
the knowledge already probed for libtool without needing to actually
have a libtool script present.

Most of the time people were just grepping the libtool script for the
value of some variable.

Ok. That is definitely not an approach that should be encouraged. Such macros should indeed be based on lt_ variables.

But your's is one of the few cases that needs
a whole new macro.  I'd be delighted if you want to help us write it,
but it should then be part of libtool.m4, not your package!

If more people require this functionality then I am all for including it in the libtool package. However, this doesn't answer the question whether the macro should be based on a libtool script or not. Furthermore, other users might have other macros that are also perfectly valid in wanting to use the libtool script. How do we deal with those macros?

Best regards,
Sander