Re: Relocatable libraries with libtool--can I do it?

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: Relocatable libraries with libtool--can I do it?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:07:36 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:18:48PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> My environment involves running in an x86 host running Linux, and
> cross-compiling everything for a different target.  A few extra things
> about this are (a) that we do not use chroot or any similar technology,
> and (b) the entire thing needs to be completely relocatable at any
> time.

Several individuals have communicated similar requirements here.  Some had
partial workarounds you may find useful; check the archives.

> It seems like the right answer would be for the .la files to have
> knowledge of ROOT or DESTDIR, or some other variable like LIBTOOL_ROOT
> or something, and automatically prepend that value to the appropriate
> pathnames for finding libraries _AT BUILD TIME_, without impacting the
> paths set to find libraries _AT RUNTIME_.
>
> Does this seem correct?  Or am I missing something else?

Roughly.  The .la does not need to encode the $ROOT, but libtool needs to know
it when interpreting each .la on the build system.  I have a draft patch to do
that.  If I find some free time, I will finish it and post to libtool-patches.