Re: libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: Re: libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:18:11 -0800

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 09:45:02AM +0100, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  Ross> $ libtoolize -n
>  Ross> libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist
>  Ross> Try `libtoolize --help' for more information.
>  Ross> $ libtoolize --version
>  Ross> libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.5.6
>
>  Ross> I am trying to use libtool/libtoolize in a project without autoconf or
>  Ross> automake.
>
> libtoolize is for autoconf-based packages.
>
> If you do not use autoconf, you should require all your users to
> install libtool before they can install your package.  Then in
> your Makefile you simply call the installed `libtool' as shown
> in the manual.  You do not need libtoolize in such a setup.

That was my original plan.  Unfortunately, Apple OS/X was the next
system I tried, and its default libtool is not GNU libtool, and takes
much different arguments.  I'm not sure why they made that decision,
which seems a bit perverse.

Though I could potentially work around that (GNU libtool is available
as glibtool) I decided it was best to take the advice in the manual
that it was safer to distribute libtool with your project, to assure
getting the right version.

That in turn led to libtoolize, and the problem above.  So I'm in the
process of learning autoconf.

Thanks.