Re: 2 non-libtool libs want to start

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 2 non-libtool libs want to start
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:57:27 +0100

* Ross Boylan wrote on Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:22:34PM CET:
> I have two libraries, both of which want to be the one that starts.  I
> assume they both define main, though I have not verified that.  Both are
> 3rd party, non-libtool, libraries.

The C `main' function is defined in these libraries?  Please verify
this (use nm or objdump or whatever libtool uses as $NM).
I really don't know if this works portably.

> First, I'd like to verify that libtool can work with non-libtool
> librariers.  The docs seem to imply that.

Yes, that should generally work.

> Second, is there any kind of general help libtool can offer for this
> problem?  On Linux, fiddling with the order of the libraries on the link
> line was adequate to control which one got control.  I am porting to
> Apple's OS-X, and have not been so fortunate there.

Could you be more specific?  What did you do and what happened?
The best thing would be to provide a small test example.  We could put
that in libtool's test suite and let exposure show if it works on other
platforms.

Regards,