Re: link_all_deplibs=yes

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: link_all_deplibs=yes
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:09:10 +0100

* Albert Chin wrote on Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 10:55:14PM CET:
> >From config/ltmain.m4sh (applies to 1.5 as well):
*snip*

> Why enforce this only when $linkmode=prog? Why shouldn't the deplibs
> additions in the above apply when creating libraries?
>
> I'm trying to build kde-3.3.1 on AIX 5.2 and because deplibs isn't
> added to link when $linkmode=prog, library linking is failing with
> unresolved symbols (because the dependency libs from dependent .la
> files aren't being included in the command-line).

In released non-patched Libtool, there is no scenario or system in which
link_all_deplibs is set to `no'.  I think everybody pretty much agrees
that the current implementation of link_all_deplibs in libtool is not
very smart and leads to problems (as you had to find out the hard way).
That is one reason I started writing the deplibs RFC: To get rid of
link_all_deplibs and replace it with something sensible.

What was your question again?  Who patched your Libtool?

Regards,