Re: libtool --silent based on MAKEFLAGS?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool --silent based on MAKEFLAGS?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:21:44 +0100

* Peter O'Gorman wrote on Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 02:29:30PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> | So, how about this?  Let's have Automake include $(LIBTOOLFLAGS) in
> | their libtool invocation.  The user can then use
> |   LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent
> |
> | What do you think?
>
> Forgetting the rest of you mail for the moment, why involve automake? Is it
> a bad idea to have libtool look for a LIBTOOLFLAGS environment variable?

IMHO yes.  From libtool's point of view, there's nothing needed besides
the command line.  Other build tools can easily add support for this as
well.  One additional bonus is you don't have to worry about precedence
-- it's the job of the tool calling libtool.

Just my opinion (and by no means set in stone).

Regards,
Ralf (please remember the rest of my mail eventually)