Re: libtool --silent based on MAKEFLAGS?

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: libtool --silent based on MAKEFLAGS?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:35:16 +0900

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

So, how about this?  Let's have Automake include $(LIBTOOLFLAGS) in
their libtool invocation.  The user can then use
  LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent
at either configure or make time.  This approach is Automake-centric,
but other buildtools can do similar.

Okay, it seems to be the best bet for now.

Still, please answer my other two questions, namely:
| Two things I'm unsure about:
| - whether `-v|--verbose' was or is in use w.r.t libtool.  Should I
|   use that rather than --no-silent?
| - interaction between `-n|--dry-run' and silence.
|   Should --dry-run imply --no-silent?
|   (One could imagine just trying to syntax-check with --dry-run
|   --silent; in some future version of libtool).

Okay, I think --verbose is better than --no-silent, but have no idea if it
has been used before, or if it causes problems otherwise.

Assuming users/developers are not totally lacking in intelligence, I believe
we can ignore any interaction between --dry-run and --silent.

While thinking about this, we never solved the "can't put -all-static
and the like into LDFLAGS" problem.  One thing to do about this would be
to also allow a LIBTOOL_LDFLAGS variable (someone other than me please
decide over the number and location of underscores within the variable
names).

The reason this can't go into LIBTOOLFLAGS is unclear to me (but I've been
drinking).

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com