[support #103719] catching unresolved symbols at link time, and template

From: anonymous
Subject: [support #103719] catching unresolved symbols at link time, and template instantiation
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:10:51 -0500

This mail is an automated notification from the support tracker
 of the project: GNU Libtool.

[support #103719] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: GNU Libtool
Submitted by: 0
On: Thu 12/30/2004 at 14:54

Category:  None

Original Submission:  I'm converting to the use of libtool for my C++ libraries.
These libraries tend to have inter-library dependencies.  Libtool does not
catch when my library has unresolved symbols due to a missing dependency (or
any other reason).
In my previous build system, I used a "prelink stage" for checking for
unresolved symbols and instantiating templates.
For g++, this is about as simple as replacing the '-shared' option with the
following, as a pre-link before the real link:

-Wl,-defsym,main=0x0,-defsym,MAIN__=0x0

Since it's treated as an executable rather than a library, complete symbol
checking and template instantiation occur.

I would like to see libtool provide a similar capability, even if only when g++
is used.  Without this, it is very difficult to determine missing dependencies
in a library.

I am currently using libtool 1.5.2

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=103719>