(no subject)

From: Andreas Fenkart
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 01:33:15 +0100 (MET)

Hi all

I have a question regarding partial linking. I found a thread earlier on
this list, namely here.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2004-12/msg00249.html

Unfortunately there was no answer on doing partial linking the right way.
The answer given suggests adding dummy functions and reference them from
elsewhere in the code. That's exactly what I try to avoid.

This is what I do
$(LIBTOOL) --mode=link g++ -o $(OBJDIR)/intermediate.lo/\
         $(OBJS:.o=.lo)
$(LIBTOOL) --mode=link g++ -o $(LIBDIR)/$(LA_LIBFILENAME) \
         -rpath $(INSTALLLIB_DIR) \
         $(OBJDIR)/intermediate.lo

Unfortunately this fails, because the intermediate.lo is not a textfile
describing where the PIC object is found, but the PIC object itself. No
object is placed into the .libs directory, which libtool usually does when
building *.lo files.

I read the code(libtool-1.5.10) and I'm willing to add the necessary bits to
create a proper .lo file. (Basically just copy-paste from the compile-case).
I'm just asking myself if the current behavior is on purpose, or an
oversight.
Anybody out here who can tell me how partial linking was thought to be used
in the first place.

kind regards,
Andy

--
+++ Sparen Sie mit GMX DSL +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
AKTION für Wechsler: DSL-Tarife ab 3,99 EUR/Monat + Startguthaben