RE: partial linking

From: Пухальский Юрий Андреевич
Subject: RE: partial linking
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:46:53 +0300

Is partial linking a documented libtool feature?  If not, how can
failure to support partial linking be considered a bug?
It appears to be documented under "mode=link":
"If output-file ends in `.o' or `.lo', then a reloadable object file is created
from the input files (generally using `ld -r'). This method is often called
partial linking".

Another question concerning this. It appears, that we can make partially linked
module only from pic objects. Does it always need to be so? I barely understand
what pic means, but I've used partial linking of non-pic objects and it
apparently worked. Or are there certain restrictions on files we partially link?