Re: path normalization

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: path normalization
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:10:46 +0000

Hallo Ralf!

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> One step toward integrating Linux multilib support, but a Libtool
> requirement independent of that goal, is comparison of normalized
> paths.  In a nutshell, I'd like to be able to decide that
>   ../foo/../lib
>   ../lib
> are equal.
>
> [[snip]]
>
> This is my first try at a shell function that implements this with
> sed (and little overhead in most trivial cases).  I'm posting it
> because it's not trivial, and I'd like to know about bugs in it or
> general comments on this problem (before integrating into Libtool)
> or the choices I had to make about normalization, or possible
> simplification.  The size of the script is partly due to the fact
> that we cannot use alternation `\|'.

The implementation looks fine to me, and works on  Good work!

Tested with: ash-0.3.8, bash-2.05b, pdksh-5.2.14 and zsh-4.1.1,
all using GNU sed 4.0.9.

Here are some more ideas:

1. We could avoid the normalization step on .la files that are new
   enough by checking the version (or for speed adding a new
   'pathsnormalized=yes' declaration) to decide whether it was already
   done at creation time.
2. Shipping a script to optionally trawl the filesystem and normalize
   installed .la files (and add a pathsnormalized decl) at libtool 'make
   install' time would save time for subsequent libtool calls.
3. I wonder how much of the normalization we could do with M4 as the
   libtool script is generated?

Cheers,
        Gary.
--