Re: link_all_deplibs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: link_all_deplibs
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:27:07 +0100

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:10:34PM CET:
> * Christoph Wellner wrote on Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:08:28PM CET:
> Thanks.  Can you do a favor for me: add
>   -Xlinker --no-add-needed
> to LDFLAGS on build

Never mind.  Debian's binutils does not support that option yet.

Question for everybody: the linker adds a library to DT_NEEDED
which is not mentioned in the link command line.  It is found
as DT_NEEDED entry in a dependent library (it does not add to
the DT_RPATH).  Does anybody know exactly when ld does that?
Is there a concise document regarding this or does one have to
resort to the source code?
ld.info is definitely not very enlightening on this issue.

Debian with its link_all_deplibs=no will have to work around this
issue.

Regards,