Debian's handling of indirect dependencies

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: Debian's handling of indirect dependencies
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:32:10 -0800

I recall someone recently mentioned that Debian's handling of
dependencies in libtool was aberrant.  There are a couple of talks that
touch on this issue; people might find them illuminating.

This is just FYI.

http://www.netsplit.com/text/gnu-build-system/
in particular, see
http://www.netsplit.com/text/gnu-build-system/gnu-build-system-016.png
Also,
http://www.netsplit.com/text/gnu-build-system/gnu-build-system-009.png
expresses surprise that aclocal is part of automake, which I think has
been another thread of discussion (triggered by a comment of mine).

Then this presentation
http://www.debconf.org/debconf4/talks/dependency-hell/index.html
talks about the problems managing dependencies, which I think sheds
light on why removing the indirect dependencies is thought to be a
feature.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          address@hidden