Re: fallback-echo, finding a suitable $ECHO

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: fallback-echo, finding a suitable $ECHO
Date: 29 Jan 2005 22:05:59 -0200

On Jan 27, 2005, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> Which systems do actually need libtool's --fallback-echo?

Probably ones that didn't support shell functions either.  I don't
recall exactly which systems required --fallback-echo, but I do recall
it was added for a very good reason, given how disgusting it is :-)

Since we've now moved on to better systems, supporting shell functions
and all, we might as well give libtool a new try without this gunk and
see how it goes.  Failing that, a shell function might be good enough,
although the fact that not even bash gets it right in some cases
doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling about this construct :-)

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   address@hidden, gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  address@hidden, gnu.org}