Re: Portland compiler support

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Portland compiler support
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:35:53 +0900

Jeff Squyres wrote:
I have recently discovered that the Portland support that I sent patches in for does not work for shared libraries (a LAM/MPI user told me this -- not the Portland support group, which I find odd).

The issue is that when making shared libraries with --whole-archive, the PGI linker needs one big argument ("-Wl,--whole-archive,foo.a,bar.a,baz.a") as opposed to a space-sparated list ("-Wl,--whole-archive foo.a bar.a baz.a").

I'm trolling through the source code to figure out how to do this -- I see that $convenience is built up as a space separated list. I'm trying to figure out the exact flow of things, but my first impression is that it might be easiest to just parameterize on the delimiter (" " or ",") in $convenience. Am I off base here?

Hi Jeff,

In a case such as this it would probably be best to set
whole_archive_flag_spec to the empty string. This will cause libtool to
unpack the static archive and add the objects to the link line. I'll look
and send you a patch to try tonight (JST).

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com