Re: Slow shell script execution on Cygwin

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Slow shell script execution on Cygwin
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:45:11 +0200

* Robert Ögren wrote on Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 01:01:39AM CEST:

> I know that "slow" doesn't really mean anything, so here are some numbers:
>
> Running the configure script for glib-2.6.3 (from ftp.gtk.org) takes
> around 170 seconds on Cygwin on my machine, with antivirus software
> disabled. Running glib's configure on the same machine booted into
> GNU/Linux takes around 17 seconds.

It might be of value to retry your tests with Libtool HEAD without the
lt_ECHO='printf %s\n' setting.  I had only later found out that cygwin's
ash has a builtin echo which does not interpret backslashes.  I could
not find the time to test the speedup myself yet.

But still, it won't give you the speed you aim for.

> 2. Is there anything (apart from cross-compiling on Linux :) ) that can
> be done to increase script execution speed?

I can only speak for Libtool: however the speedup gained by cygwin
improvements may be, your numbers clearly show the usefulness for a
libtool caching mechanism.  I for one would be happy to help integrating
something along your approach into Libtool proper.

Of course, independently of that, any cywgin fork() improvements are
still very useful, not only for Libtool.

Regards,