Re: Slow shell script execution on Cygwin

From: Tor Lillqvist
Subject: Re: Slow shell script execution on Cygwin
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:33:38 +0300

Just throwing out (or throwing up ;-) some ideas...:

Has anybody investigated using busybox on Cygwin? Or something
similar? I.e. binding the code for the most common GNU utitilies (sed,
m4, gawk, expr, cp, cat, ls, rm, ln, echo) more tightly to the shell,
perhaps building them as DLLs, and instead of running them as separate
forked processes, as threads? I did once build busybox on Cygwin, but
it didn't work well enough, and I didn't spend any more time on it.

Hmm, but I guess the fork/exec separation makes this harder, Cygwin
can't know when it is emulating fork() whether the child process will
immediately exec() one of the above. Or does the Cygwin shell(s)
already have some special code instead of plain fork()/exec()?

Yeah, I know, I should have a look and try some hacks
myself. (Un)fortunately, I'm quite busy with other stuff.

--tml