Re: libltdl and make dist

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libltdl and make dist
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:22:45 +0200

Hi Thomas,

[ reformatted for consistency ]

* Thomas Degris wrote on Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:08:49PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Thomas Degris wrote on Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 04:24:33PM CEST:
> >
> >>I use automake, libtool and libltdl and when I try make dist in my
> >>project, I have the following error in the libltdl directory:
> >>make[1]: Entering directory `/local/home/degris/src/satom/satom/libltdl'
> >>make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../libtool.m4', needed by
> >>`distdir'.  Stop.
> >
> >Did you change any files in the libltdl/ directory?
>
> I tried with different versions of automake and libtool and I have the
> problem.  I don't remember to have modified libltdl.
>
> You can find all the files I use in the module satom of the Satom
> project of Savannah (https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/satom/). The
*snip*
> The command 'sh bootstrap' must be run for running automake, libtoolize,
> ... It supports version of aclocal/automake >=1.7.
> Don't hesitate to ask for questions or things to try, it is not my aim
> to just give my project and ask people to solve my problems.

Your bootstrap has

| $LIBTOOLIZE --version | head -n 1 && $LIBTOOLIZE --force

but should have

| $LIBTOOLIZE --version | head -n 1 && $LIBTOOLIZE --force  --ltdl

instead, to ensure consistent versions of m4 files.  Actually, if you
don't need to support older Autoconf versions, it should use
`autoreconf' instead of calling the autotools individually.
If you want only one instance of the libtool.m4 macros and can allow use
of latest autotools only, you should create a m4 directory, add
 ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4
to toplevel Makefile.am, put all .m4 files there
(autoreconf calls the autotools with the right options then)
[and for a future libtoolize version
 AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])
to toplevel configure.ac].

Regards,