Re: [patch][RFC] quotes in m4

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [patch][RFC] quotes in m4
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:20:38 +0200

Hi Bernhard,

* Bernhard Fischer wrote on Sun, May 01, 2005 at 01:00:41AM CEST:
> Hi, (please keep me CC'd)
>
> Reading recent comments about quoting, I wonder if someone more familiar
> with libtool feels like adding warnings where appropriate, so e.g.
> grep -r "[[:space:]]*[^#]A._.*(" m4/ |egrep -v "\(\["|grep -v UNQUOTED
> or the like is warned about automagically?

We could put something like this in tests/sh.test, if the others don't
mind.

> If appropriate, please apply the attached patch which does some of
> * m4/libtool.m4: quote AC_SUBST, AC_MSG_RESULT

Could do so, meaning: I would not mind this patch.
I do believe it's merely cosmetic, though.

> PS: this was triggered by
> <peda>  cow_: You should feed the libtool.m4 changes upstream instead of
> cluttering the ggi tree with cosmetic patches, or does the quoting fix a
> bug on some platform?
>
> PPS: i hear that it indeed can cause trouble on some arches.
> Unfortunately no further information about that aspect, though.

This is far more important than the "cosmetic" part: AFAIK the other
patch about quoting did _not_ fix anything, at least not any bug we can
reproduce.  Please, if at all possible, try to dig out information about
possible wrong behavior, or just the system this was on.

If we cannot reproduce the bug, we cannot make sure it stays fixed.

Regards,