Re: totally confused by versioning system of libtool...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: totally confused by versioning system of libtool...
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:31:37 -0600

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

>> That implies that when I install a new version, the old version says
>> around. Is that correct?
>
> Yes.  Unless it is explicitly deleted.

Suppose that we discover a bug which doesn't require any API change to
fix, but which will cause he users' computers to go into self-destruct
mode, and catch on fire.

In the old days of static libraries, we would do a new release, and
tell users to relink all their applications. If they didn't bother, or
missed an app, their computer would explode the next time they used it.

But now, we have the additional option of deleting the version of the
library file that contains the bug, during the install of the next
version. Then, their applications would crash horribly. But at least
their computer would not explode.

Does anyone do anything like that, or is that idea just too crazy?

If it seems like a crazy question consider that most scientists
wouldn't really care all that much about exploding computers, as long
as the data files were not corrupted.

Thanks, your explanations are really clearing the mists around
libtool!

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden