Re: totally confused by versioning system of libtool...

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: totally confused by versioning system of libtool...
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:16:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 14 May 2005, Ed Hartnett wrote:

In the case of shared library versions, what about the header file?

Most libraries (including the one I am converting to libtool) have a
header file that is installed along with the library.

Although the versioning scheme is very clever about letting me have
multiple libraries of different major versions, is there any
equivalent way to handle the header files of different versions?

You can easily arrange to install the headers into a versioned directory via rules in the Makefile. However, it is important to recognize that reliably using the shared library that the headers belong to may be difficult since libtool and the linker normally link against the most current version.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn