Re: how to use the --tag parameter with libtool in my automake file?

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: how to use the --tag parameter with libtool in my automake file?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:52:15 -0600

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 20 May 2005, Ed Hartnett wrote:
>>
>> The command works if I use --tag=f77 as a libtool option, but where in
>> my automake files can I specify a libtool option like --tag=f77?
>>
>> Is there some way to specify libtool parameters like --tag in the
>> makefile? Actually I can't seem to find any documentation of --tag at
>> all.
>
> Modern versions of Automake (certainly 1.9.X, and maybe 1.8.X)
> automatically detect that libtool is version 1.5.X or newer and add
> the necessary --tag option.  For older versions of Automake you could
> provide your own versions of the Automake compile and link
> macros. Anything you provide in your Makefile.am file overrides
> similar statements which would normally be provided by Automake.

Hmm, that's odd. I'm using the following versions:
buddy.unidata.ucar.edu% automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.8.3

buddy.unidata.ucar.edu% libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.2 (1.1220.2.60 2004/01/25 12:25:08)

> Normally --tag should not be needed, but if the supplied tool name
> does not exactly match the tool name used when configure was executed,
> libtool can't properly guess the target language.

Not quite sure what you mean here. The name of the tool (f95) doesn't
change between the time configure is executed and the attempted link
takes place.

Thanks,

Ed

--