Re: shared library depending on static library on Solaris

From: Kurt Roeckx
Subject: Re: shared library depending on static library on Solaris
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:25:42 +0200

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 06:31:29PM +0200, Sven Verdoolaege wrote:

> I just tried this (this is not my development system; I just
> used the libtool created on another system before) and
> actually, it passes all tests (and skips one).
> > deplibs_check_method may not be pass_all on your system.
[...]
> SKIP: demo-nopic.test

This test is skipped on a few arches like x86-64, hppa and s390,
and I think the test shouldn't exists at all.  Most arches do not
support having non-pic code in a shared lib, for others pic is the
default.  Afaik, on linux, i386 is the only arch that actually
supports non-pic code in a shared lib.

Having non-pic code in a shared lib has as effect that the lib
actually isn't shared by several processes, so it's a waste of
memory.

Kurt