Re: static lib with libtool 1.5

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: static lib with libtool 1.5
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:02:46 +0200

Hi Jeremie,

* Jeremie LE HEN wrote on Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:29:55PM CEST:

> > Your documentation points are valid, thanks.  We should work on that.
>
> You are welcome, I can update the documentation about these subjects if
> someone points me out the documentation source file (maybe it's simply
> the HTML file ?), and then send the diff here.

Documentation is written in texinfo format.  It will be easiest to pull
the current docs from CVS, if you want to make changes.  The libtool
resp. texinfo homepages describe how to access the CVS repository.  Note
that the documentation from CVS branches branch-2-0/HEAD is much more up
to date and contains much of what you are looking for, I believe.

> Thank you for this clear explanation.  However, could you tell me a
> little bit more on the --tag option, I can't see anything in the
> documentation about this.  I would be glad to add a note on this
> option too.

In branch-2-0 and HEAD, --tag is actually documented quite well.
We just need to get 2.0 out the door..  But the fact that branch-1-5
docs don't even mention --tag is quite disturbing.

If anybody sends in good documentation updates for branch-1-5, I would
probably take them.  OTOH, it does constitute wasted work in some sense,
so I have a hard time encouraging anyone to start writing docs for this
branch.  Work might be better spent on improving the HEAD/branch-2-0
docs.

Regards, and thanks for your offer,