Re: solaris 10: address@hidden

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: solaris 10: address@hidden
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:23:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, David Lee wrote:

I'm using GNU/ld; but I'd be happy,as part of the experiments, to try to redirect our "gcc" to use the Solaris/ld. (How to redirect it?)

I recommend that anyone who installs GCC under Solaris use the Solaris linker rather than the GNU linker. This is based on past experience learned the hard way.

The GNU linker may often appear to work under Solaris, but it is not really targeted for it. Every new Solaris release has its own nuances, particularly pertaining to shared libraries. There are many issues such as weak symbols, versioned libraries, 32/64bit ABIs, and processor/arch type libraries that the portable GNU linker can't realistically be expected to keep up with. The Solaris linker is specifically designed to do things the Solaris way. Apparently the "Solaris way" must work since executables dating from the very early 90's still run correctly today.

In times past, just renaming the GNU linker executable to some other name was sufficient for GCC to successfully use the Solaris linker. I don't know if this is still the case.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn