Re: Alternate SONAME values

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Alternate SONAME values
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:15:53 +0200

* Simon Richter wrote on Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:23:51AM CEST:
> Keith Packard wrote:
>
> > I want the SONAME to be libXaw.so.6, but the filename to be libXaw6.la,
> > libXaw6.so.6.0.1, libXaw6.so.6 and libXaw6.so
>
> There is no need to name the real file libXaw6.so.6.0.1, as the 6 is
> mentioned twice this way (libXaw.so.6.0.1 suffices). The unversioned
> symlink and the .la file are the only things that conflict between
> versions; I'd think that there is some sort of a "current" ABI which
> would get its symlink/.la installed.
>
> Now I'm wondering whether it would make sense to add a switch to libtool
> that makes it not install those two things, such as "-old-abi".

This sounds like the simplest idea so far, plus it may even be of use to
other situations portably.

Keith, could you confirm that this would be enough for your needs, when
given as install mode switch?  Current idea would be to have it install
the first name from library_names only, do not delete the symlinks nor
create new ones, do not install the .la file.

Or do you also need to prevent creating the symlinks in the build tree
(below $builddir/.libs/), maybe because you actually build all three
library major versions in the same directory?  Then we'd need to do
something at link mode.