Re: Alternate SONAME values

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Alternate SONAME values
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:58:06 +0200

Hi Keith,

* Keith Packard wrote on Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:42:57PM CEST:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 11:23 +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
>
> > Now I'm wondering whether it would make sense to add a switch to libtool
> > that makes it not install those two things, such as "-old-abi".
>
> I have to support two of these library versions as 'current' for other
> reasons, so applications need to be able to link against either libXaw7
> or libXaw8 at build time, so I need two unversioned .so files...
*snip*
> Yes, there are probably too many constraints on the solution space.

Re-reading this thread, I would be inclined to accept a patch which
implements your original proposal, given that a way can be found how it
degrades gracefully on the different/not-so-flexible shared library
systems mentioned.  That is, unless the other maintainers oppose.

(I personally won't there to review it for a while though, sorry.)