Re: libtool/ltmain.sh pulling in wrong stdc++

From: Christoph Bartoschek
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain.sh pulling in wrong stdc++
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:35:48 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 19:11 schrieb Graham Leggett:
> Kurt Roeckx said:
> > Are you sure your libtool has been regenerated for the new g++?
>
> I rebuilt libtool v1.5.8 which was previously installed, and when this
> made no difference I downloaded and built libtool v1.5.18.
>
> I deleted config.guess, config.sub, libtool and ltmain.sh and recreated
> them from scratch using libtoolize -c -f.
>
> The second project's libtool still somehow detects and pulls in the gcc
> v3.4.2 libstdc++, while building with g++ v4.0.1.
>
> I am completely baffled - can anyone reveal what method libtool uses to
> detect libraries? What steps are followed to create the dependency_libs
> variable within the .la file? I am trying to find out where the referencce
> to the 3.4.2 directory is called into existance, but am having no luck.
>
> Regards,
> Graham

I also have big problems that libtool tries to  use  /usr/lib/libstdc++
instead of the compiler one, when I compile several projects.

IMO libtool should always ignore libstdc++, but this is another issue.

I solve the problem by patching libtool after configuration.  I change
sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec  and sys_lib_search_path_spec such that
${GCCDIR}/lib  is the first entry followed by  the default values. This
solves the problem most of the time, but I still hate that libtool does not
ignore libstdc++ in such projects.

Christoph Bartoschek